Re: The Wintry Midget

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The Wintry Midget
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 11:53:23 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 11/16/99 12:17:51 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Tomsjetta@aol.com writes:

<< A loft covers half the front end, so I can't fully open the
 hood; with no light in there, it wouldn't matter anyways. At this point, all
 I'm making sure of is that the car sits with a full tank of gas.

 Obviously, once the snow starts falling, I will stop taking the car out.
 Given my limitations, what should I do with the car-anything? In the very
 least, I'd like to start her up for a while once every weekend. MG World
says
 to keep the hood and trunk open to allow for air passage. I can't do that
 with the trunk, since the light would drain the battery. Also, they
recommend
 having the top up, but not latched. Should I do this? >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'll take a stab at some of this, Tom.

You can't open the hood (bonnet, I assume) because of a loft in the garage?
If you are driving into the garage bonnet first and the bonnet is under the
loft, why not back in?  Then you can leave the garage door open for light,
and the bonnet may have enough clearance to open.

Starting the car every week or so would keep the oil flowing in the engine
and trans.  It's not as good as actually driving the car, which gets it up to
full operating temp and burns off any water or acid that accumulates in the
oil, but it's better than letting it sit.

If you want to leave the boot and bonnet open to circulate air, you can
disconnect the battery or take out the boot light bulb.  Pick up a battery
quick disconnect thing at the local auto supply store.  Easy to install.
When you need to start the car, just hook it up.  It connects with a big
thumb screw, so no tools are necessary.

Leaving the top (hood) up and not latched will keep it from creasing when
folded, and it won't stretch and retain the new shape as it would if latched.
 The cold weather will cause the fabric to shrink, so when it warms up again,
it would then be too loose.  (That is my guess on that.)

If you were going to park the car and not start it until April, a whole
'nuther set of instructiond would have to be followed.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport