RE: my muffler experience

To: macleans@earthlink.net, justincook@yahoo.com
Subject: RE: my muffler experience
From: Andrew.Griffith@ReadRite.com
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 11:17:59 -0800
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Mike,
It sounds as if you bought a glass or steel-pack, very good choice.
The theory behind how a glass-pack works is very simple...

The exhaust gas flows pretty much straight down the line or exhaust pipe
through the pack and out the end with very little restriction... which is
good. Meanwhile the sound waves bounce back and forth down the pipe. In side
the glass-pack the pipe is cross-drilled with a bunch of holes that are of a
specific diameter and spacing that matches the range of sound frequencies.
The sound waves bounce out through the holes into an area filled with sound
absorbing material, like steel wool or fiber-glass. The material transforms
the energy from the sound waves into vibrations, while causing very little
restriction of the gases. And the reason that a glass-packs get louder when
you get it on, so to speak, is that there is more sound waves then holes.

Theoretically you can cross drill the entire length of your exhaust pipe,
wrap it w/ steel wool or fiber-glass insulation and you will have a very
quite and low restriction exhaust system.

If you have the time and insulation... why don't you give it a try and tell
us how it works out?
Just joking,

-Drew