Re: Jeep suffering from Lucas Syndrome - Help?

To: Gary and Kate Bales <kgb@clipper.net>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Jeep suffering from Lucas Syndrome - Help?
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 22:49:43 -0500
At 05:53 AM 1/21/2000 -0800, Gary and Kate Bales wrote:
>Hi Guys,
>Hope someone will take pity on a poor little old lady and come up with
>some suggestions.  My Cherokee, which is normally parked next to his
>sister the MG, has developed some electrical problems.  The radio,
>wipers, heater fan, rear wiper, and turn signals suddenly quit working.
>Just as suddenly, they all began working again.  When I left work, again
>nothing.  Eliminating the obvious, all fuses were checked and found to
>be good.  Any thoughts on the subject?  I have a 40 mile drive to work
>in the morning, and it is pouring down rain.  Thanks.
>Kate

Kate,

   I had sort of the same problem on a grand cherokee, it turned out to be
a wire to the trailer hitch(that was installed after the factory) had a
place where it was rubbed down to the wire and it would intermittenly
(spelling) ground itself and most of the other electronics until the next
bump.  I hope this makes sense.  Check any aftermarket wiring (fog lights
or trailer wiring or radio ) and make sure there are no places where the
wires have worn through the plastic.  YMMV, but it cost me $50 for an hour
of labor at the local dealer!  Hope this helps.

Travis Elliott
79 Midget 1500 (waiting on a gasket to put engine back in car)
Travis Elliott
88 Suzuki Samurai
Supply, N.C.