Re: New Guy & "New" Car

To: woodrat <woodrat@spacey.net>
Subject: Re: New Guy & "New" Car
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 22:32:16 -0800
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
woodrat wrote:

> Just bought a more or less restored 60 Bugeye last week.

Welcome to the Sprite/beer list.

> a. Was the spare tire fastened to the floor somehow?  I cant find any
> evidence of this, back in that dark hole.

Yes. With 2 straps (3 loops) A good sewing machine and some 1" wide
nylon seat belt strapping will do (not original but it works)

> b. I dont have an original jack.  (help?)  Can I use a scissors jack with a
> wood block and jack below the original jack point?

Good, all they do is scratch the car if you had to use them.
A sissors jack will work fine either under the jack hole, under the leaf
spring mounts, or on the frame rail inside the A arms.

>When putting the car on a shop lift, jack pads go on A-arms and rear axle?

Leaf spring mount (body side) and frame rails inside the A arms.
Do not lift the car by the A arms, they pivot and the car could fall.

> c.  I foolishly(?) would like to use the car for mini trips (Im in Florida);
> is there any easy way to have your "goods" and tools secured in the "dark
> hole" so as to maybe have them still there when you return from sightseeing?

Nobody would ever think of looking in there.
I have lost things for years back in the cave.
I have seen a bugeye (Amy Turner's) with a locking carpet covered panel
over the cave entrance.

> d.  The battery, as supplied, is the size of a yard tractor battery, while,
> of course the compartment is huge.  What is battery number that is correct
> and or fills the hole?

Any Atandard 24 series battery is correct and fits perfectly.
Watch the terminal position as to which side + and - are on, I try to
keep the battery posts away from the firewall. I have seen too many
holes eaten in the firewall by the battery posts being too close.

> e.  If I have done this posting improperly, please excuse.

Larry (now we have 3 Larrys on the list) This is the Spridgets list, we
talk about beer, Sailboats, witches (we have our own token witch), Wind
chills, just about everything, sometimes we even talk about Spridgets!!

Welcome
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ