Re: Restoration

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Restoration
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 00:54:24 EST
In a message dated 2/19/00 5:05:13 AM, DLancer7676@cs.com writes:

<< <<  How should I progress from
 here? Is stripping better than sandblasting? I have heard that dipping
 promotes rust. Should I do it manually with aircraft stripper, as has
 been suggested by others? Or should I turn it all over to a body shop
 and pray? >>

Bill,

We agree with David C's comments but have a couple of additions.  One thing
in favor of blasting is that you find out everything that is good or bad
about the body in a very short time.  Besides the mess and time we worry
about what disaster we might uncover on the last parts of the car to get
stripped.  Do not remember what it cost to media blast our Bugeye but we
inspected the car 24 hours after giving it to the shop.  We happen to know
that car so there were no surprises, we were just in a hurry.  Also if you
should decide to have your car blasted go to as many shops as you can and
look for cars that they have blasted.  It is far more important that the shop
have lots of favorable experience blasting cars than what media they use.
While our personal preference is for plastic media, we know of an excellent
shop that uses sand.  By the way each will claim that media used by the other
shop will damage your car.

Our 2 cents

Bob and Annice
1960 Sprite (Mk IV indiguise)