Re: Tire Recommendations

To: Marlene Rzepkowski <mrzepkow@rochester.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Tire Recommendations
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 14:36:42 -0600
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Marlene Rzepkowski wrote:

> Background:
> I remember seeing on the list lots of discussion about the size of tires to
> fit a Midget (mine is a 1977) and I understand the 165/70R13's are the
> largest that will fit under the wheel wells and not interfere with springs
> etc.  Most also recommended adding a pan hard bar when doing this.  I've
> been running 155/80R13's since the car was purchased and have never had any
> interference problem (No pan hard bar either).
>
> My Question:
> I'd like to get the best possible grip in a 155/80R13 tire.  The car goes on
> many weekend trips but I also autocross the car occasionally and have done
> OK running against other "stock" Midgets.  I don't want to get into
> "prepared" categories so don't want to add the pan hard bar.  What is the
> best brand/model tire I can get in the 155/80R13 size for maximum grip on
> dry pavement?  Suggestions on where to purchase the tires you might
> recommend would also be appreciated.  I would be willing to sacrifice tread
> life for better grip since this is a summer car only.  (You can tell my
> thoughts have turned toward summer even though it's several months yet
> before the car will come out of storage up here in Rochester, NY).
> Suggestions please!
>
> Dick
> 1977 Midget - Maggie
>
> Yesterday is history. Tomorrow a mystery.Today is a gift. That's why it's
> called the present!

        I don't know of a grippy 155, myself, but I would ask tirerack.com.
I've ordered my last 8 or so sets of tires from them. I've been happy
and I haven't seen a better price a few weeks after buying a tire (yet)
as is usually the case for me.
        Also, I would like to inform those who are snow bound that I got a
sunburn Sunday from golfing and tennis. I should have been doing
homework, though.
--

MCMLXIX Sprite: Driving a slow car quickly.
1987 RX-7 TII: Driving a fast car slowly.

-