Re: Tire Recommendations

To: "Steven Fooshee" <fooshst@stumail.gc.cc.fl.us>, "Marlene Rzepkowski" <mrzepkow@rochester.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Tire Recommendations
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 15:46:41 -0500
Cc: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Whall, I have 165/70R13's on Wire Wheels. I have room to put a bigger
tire on the wires than what is there. I think the steel wheel is a wider
wheel so that may make a diff on tire size that will fit. I would guess I
could go to a 165/60 or maybe a 175/60 or 70. Not sure with out trying. I
know I will NEVER put Continentals on it again. They have to be close to
about the worst tires I have ever used on the Midget.

Larry

At this exact moment in time 2/22/00 3:36 PM, fooshst@stumail.gc.cc.fl.us
made the profound statement:

>Marlene Rzepkowski wrote:
>>
>> Background:
>> I remember seeing on the list lots of discussion about the size of tires to
>> fit a Midget (mine is a 1977) and I understand the 165/70R13's are the
>> largest that will fit under the wheel wells and not interfere with springs
>> etc.  Most also recommended adding a pan hard bar when doing this.  I've
>> been running 155/80R13's since the car was purchased and have never had any
>> interference problem (No pan hard bar either).
>>
>> My Question:
>> I'd like to get the best possible grip in a 155/80R13 tire.  The car goes on
>> many weekend trips but I also autocross the car occasionally and have done
>> OK running against other "stock" Midgets.  I don't want to get into
>> "prepared" categories so don't want to add the pan hard bar.  What is the
>> best brand/model tire I can get in the 155/80R13 size for maximum grip on
>> dry pavement?  Suggestions on where to purchase the tires you might
>> recommend would also be appreciated.  I would be willing to sacrifice tread
>> life for better grip since this is a summer car only.  (You can tell my
>> thoughts have turned toward summer even though it's several months yet
>> before the car will come out of storage up here in Rochester, NY).
>> Suggestions please!
>>
>> Dick
>> 1977 Midget - Maggie
>>
>> Yesterday is history. Tomorrow a mystery.Today is a gift. That's why it's
>> called the present!
>
>       I don't know of a grippy 155, myself, but I would ask tirerack.com.
>I've ordered my last 8 or so sets of tires from them. I've been happy
>and I haven't seen a better price a few weeks after buying a tire (yet)
>as is usually the case for me.
>       Also, I would like to inform those who are snow bound that I got a
>sunburn Sunday from golfing and tennis. I should have been doing
>homework, though.
>--
>
>MCMLXIX Sprite: Driving a slow car quickly.
>1987 RX-7 TII: Driving a fast car slowly.
>1990 GS 500-E: When you need an apex to lean on.
>Email is packaged by intellectual weight, not by volume.
>Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
>
>-

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Administrator/Manager