Re: More electrical

To: davidr@sunset.net
Subject: Re: More electrical
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 11:37:27 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 4/5/00 2:20:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time, davidr@sunset.net
writes:

<< The description of this mystery device is sounding very similar to the
 actual relay that performs the seatbelt ignition cutout function on my 74
 Midget.  White with brown trace wire would be the wire that activates the
 starter solenoid when you turn the key to the start position.  Again, on the
 74 it runs from that relay to the starter solenoid.  Could it be that your
 wiring harness was transplanted from a 74? >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I have no reason to believe that the DPO replaced the harness.  I have found
MANY additional wires, including a red wire with an in-line fuse that went to
a ground, and the black wire that powers the horns!  I don't think the DPO
would attempt to replace the harness, considering the level of expertise
demonstrated by the rest of the wiring abortions that are present.

The '77 Midget didn't have a starter cut off.  That was a very short-lived
safety feature.  Mine did have the seatbelt buzzer, but the DPO removed it.
I got it in the box of parts with the car.  I don't know where it was
mounted, but I assume it went under the dash.  You wouldn't be able to hear
it if it were mounted in the engine bay.

Peter C. seems to think the relay is a standard Lucas #something relay that
was used for a variety of functions.  I was just curious as to what it did in
my car.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget