Re: Rear end clonk

To: wizardz@maxinter.net
Subject: Re: Rear end clonk
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 17:29:52 -0700
Cc: mgs@autox.team.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
wizardz@maxinter.net wrote:

> I'm about to open up my rear end to resolve the 'clonk'
>
> QUESTION: the axles must come out to remove the pumpkin
> from the diff case right? How much of the hub/wheel/backplate  do I
> have to take apart just to back the axles out enough to remove diff assy?

Check the drive shaft bolts first. I had them come loose and it makes a
clunk.
Also check you leaf springs for a crack, it clunks too.
Pulling the axle is easy, remove the brake drum, remove the axle set
screw and pull it out. You may have to pry it off the rubber "O" ring
with a screw driver.
Be sure to replace the O ring and paper gasket. Also watch for gear oil
dripping out when the axle comes out.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ