Re: Speedo cable question

To: jboatri@emory.edu, justincook@yahoo.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Speedo cable question
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 10:47:19 EDT
In a message dated 5/8/00 10:28:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jboatri@emory.edu writes:

<< The cable end itself is square in cross-section. The cable housing
 has an end fitting that crimps onto the housing at one end and is
 rather bell shaped at the end that runs up against the speedo. Inside
 of this fitting is a little piece of white plastic that fits over the
 cable (it has a square hole through its longitudinal axis). Around
 the end fitting is a threaded collar that cinches the whole thing
 onto the speedo, which has a threaded cylinder sticking out of the
 back. The cable end fits into a square hole inside of this cylinder.  >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

All this talk about spedo cables brought back a memory from the old
days when I owned a '67 Rover 2000TC with a bum speedometer.  The
needle bounced as the car moved.  I bought a speedo drive repair kit
that included a white plastic piece with the proper square end to fit in
the speedo.  The way you used it was to heat the metal end of the
cable with a match and then plunge it into the back of the plastic piece.
The heat melted the adhesive in the hole and when cooled, you now
had a new speedo drive in place of the one that was buggered.

Of course, that didn't fix the speedo, but it was neat to do.  It turned
out to be a bad angle drive gear.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget