BEEFI update

To: spidgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>, Dustin J <carterd@oit.edu>
Subject: BEEFI update
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 11:12:56 -0700
Fellow Spridgeteers,

This weekend, FROGGI ('60 Bugeye w/1275) hit the road for the first time
with his new fuel
injection system... BEEFI.  For those of you somewhat new to the list,
BEEFI is an acronym for
BugEye Electronic Fuel Injection and is being developed by my son
Dustin.

While a couple of "tweaks" are needed,  the car performed surprising
well.  The
engine started almost immediately and without dying a number of times
prior to
reaching operating temperature.  It idled smooth and revved quickly when
we "bleeped" the
throttle.  On the road, the car accelerated, pulled hard right up to red
line... and beyond
(Bugeye tach, 1275 engine)!  Didn't even hesitated or sputter.  This
thing works guys!

Some time back, I reported that various sensors had been installed under
the bonnet.  Sensors
supply information to the "brain" for fuel management.  Sensors used
are: MAP (manifold
absolute pressure); throttle; temp and oxygen.  Each plays an important
and significant role in
maintaining the correct fuel mixture throughout the engine operating
range and various driving
conditions.

BEEFI is designed to be an affordable alternative for those wishing to
"clean up" their fuel
delivery system and eliminate the constant adjustment of SU or similar
carbs.  No expensive
manifolds to buy... the base of the SU's are retained as mounting blocks
for the injectors and
also for their throttle plates.  The float bowls are removed and air is
drawn from the top of the
carb body; where the piston and chamber normally sit.

This is a DIY (do it yourself) system and as such requires some
fabrication and machine work.
The most difficult portion will be fabricating the fuel rail.  A
junk-yard, Ford Bronco V-6 fuel
rail, cut/welded, is currently being used on our test car.

Next time I'll write more on how and where the sensors are mounted, fuel
pump being used, fuel
pressure regulation and the injectors themselves.

If you have questions, I'll try to answer them as well.  Feel free to
e-mail me off list so we don't bore everyone.

WFO Herb
Keep the sticky side down!