Re: any advice?

To: Patricia Sauthoff <Patricia.Sauthoff@blvdmedia.com>
Subject: Re: any advice?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 22:36:24 -0400
Cc: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Patricia Sauthoff wrote:

> Hello,
>         I'm joining this list because I am considering purchasing a
> spridget,

Welcome to the Spridgets list.
Most of your questions have been answered but I have to chime in with my
two cents.

A 67 - 74 would be your best bet. It has roll up windows, a easliy
folded down top, door locks and a locking trunk (boot) The better of all
the engines, and chrome bumpers.

As for maintainance and repairs, Any back yard mechanic can fix, repair,
or cobble it back together with what ever is laying around. Parts are
readily available. and serious problems will give you fair warning in
most cases.
You can learn how to change your oil, check all the important fluids,
tweak the carbs and set the timing yourself in a weekend. Your boyfriend
can bropbably assist or this list can for sure. Buy a repair book for
sure and READ it one night just for the info.

My daughter is 17, her car is a 59 Austin A40 which is basically a
Sprite with a non removable roof. She can and has changed her oil,
tweaked her carb, played with her timing (and messed it up) checks her
tires and snapped her axles.
Yes, she drives like her old man. Sure her 41 year old car has its
faults, it's old but other then breaking an axle, it has never left her
stranded. Some times it did not start but it was an easy fix. No sensors
or computers to break down. Nothing super expensive that only a dealer
has to fix. She complains about it being old when all her friends drive
Saturns and Hondas. Nothing in the school parking lot looks as unique as
her 59 Austin though. And she knows enough about what's under the hood
(bonnet) to impress the boys.
Of course I do keep an eye on the mechanicals, after all she is my
little girl and I know in my heart the car is 41 years old. I do have
modern seats, seat belts, and a modern padded steering wheel in it and
even a 3rd brake light.
It is safe in traffic, keeps up on the freeways, and turns heads
everywhere it goes.

So my advice is go with your heart. You only live once. If you don't do
it now, you will find yourself married with a big mortgage, children and
a minivan.
No way will you be able to own and drive a Sprite with kids in a baby
seat.
Although when we had our second child, I just bought another Sprite!!
One parent and one kid in each car as we went over the river and thru
the woods to grandmas house.

Good luck

Security...There is nothing in it to steel except a radio which you can
get a removable face plate radio as my daughter did and take the face
with you.
The car is not worth stealing by common car thieves because they have no
outlet for the parts and a unique car is hard to dump. Teenage joy
riders are another story and a Club (tm) or simalar anti theft device
will deter them.
.

--
Frank Clarici