Re: WAS: Non LBC Motorcycle question. NOW: Fuel to Air Mixtures.

To: Bill Miller <millerb@netusa1.net>
Subject: Re: WAS: Non LBC Motorcycle question. NOW: Fuel to Air Mixtures.
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 22:40:27 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Bill,

The exhaust cycle and intake cycle in a typical four stroke engine are _not_
mutually exclusive.  There is a period of valve overlap - when the exhaust valve
is closing the intake valve is partially open.  This causes a scavanging
effect.  The exhaust gases flowing out help draw the fresh fuel/air mixture in.

Each cylinder in your motor is 187.5 cc's (plus the volume of the combustion
chamber), but because of inefficiencies in the intake and exhaust system you
don't get a full exchange of 187.5 cc's with every intake/exhaust cycle.  By
improving the flow of the exhaust system on your engine, you have improved the
efficiency.   You have more air flowing through your engine.

Rick