Amphicar

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Amphicar
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 22:31:58 -0500
Brad:

As many other posts have told you, the Amphicar isn't much of a boat nor
car.

Most of them these days don't float and still bring 5 figures.  Plan to
end up with at least $15k in a running, driving, and floating #3-4 car.
$25k for a condition #2 car.

BTW, there's only one major parts supplier, so his prices are gold
plated. But there's a great club, very active... lots of support. And
there's less cars than buyers, so the cars sell quickly in ANY shape.

You asked what a basket case would go for... a guaranteed, working
gearbox alone (a modified Porsche unit) will bring $3000.

Last spring I bought a completely disassembled 10k mile 2 owner car,
complete, came with about $1000 in new parts. It had most of the metal
work done, new seats, etc.  I paid $4000 and thought I got a real steal!

After messing with the car for a few months, making lists of what I
needed, and pricing everything out, I decided I was in WAY too deep (pun
intended, of course) and was EXTREMELY happy to sell the car for the
same $4000.

There are constant stories about someone finding a running, floating,
car in a barn somewhere for $2000. Might happen with these cars more
than others, but still mostly legend.

Want to know more?  http://carstrucksvans.com/amphicar/

I'm just glad to know that if one of my LBC's breaks down, I can always
walk home! ;-)

Bill Elliott
Lake Barrington, IL