Real LBC Questions

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Real LBC Questions
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 12:41:54 EDT
A clunking noise in the rear end of our Tahoe has pressed the Midget into use
as my driver/commuter.  Last week I took it into Midas and had a new exhaust
system installed.  My time is always limited and $163 for new gasket, pipe,
and muffler seemed like a good idea and it beat fighting the exhaust manifold
nuts that are always afixed with permarust.

Problem 1. The "economy" muffler they installed is a bit too big.  It is the
standard oval muffler shape and is just a hair wider than the space between
the springs and the fuel tank.

Their installation solution was to mount the muffler vertially, with the
exhaust pipe hanging 4 inches or more below the body and about 2" ground
clearance.  Read this as "not enough ground clearance with 240+ lb pilot
installed".

My solution last evening was to rotate the muffler back to horizontal.  This
brings everything up ok, but the muffler hangs a scant 1/4" below the springs
and tank.  No scaping this morning on the way to work, and no vibrating
against the body yet, but I really dont like the installation.

I know one solution is to replace the muffler with a "cherry bomb", but
actually I was tired of the roar, and the new muffler has a nice subdued low
rumble sound.

This brings up problems 2, 3 etc.

Now that I have replaced the rusted out, probably original muffler, I can
hear the valves that need adjusting, and I need to work on the carbs.

The valves will have to wait until Sunday when I see if I can find a valve
cover gasket locally.  I played with the carbs lask night.  I knew they were
set way too rich, and found them to be set all the way up.  I backed off
about 12 flats and played with them a little but will have to work on that
Sunday too.  Can someone tell me the correct procedure for using the flow
meter and adjusting air flow?

Also, I tried to check the float settings I understand this will cause a very
rich mixture if they are incorrect.  Well, my floats are plastic and I
couldn't see any way to adjust them.

I'm sure I'll have more to ask after Sunday...assuming I get time to do
anything to it.

OH YEAH...I seem to remember previous discussions of the new rear spring sets
putting the car an inch higher?  And that some of the listers had tried and
then removed them?  Anyone want to dispose of a set cheap, or reasonable?  I
think I can live with the extra height as when the SO and I are in the car
together theres a 480lb+ load to deal with.

R. Houston