Re: Timing Vs Over Heating

To: "Larry Miller" <millerls@ado13.com>, "Spridgets@Autox. Team. Net (E-mail)" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Timing Vs Over Heating
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 13:03:56 -0400
Well for what its worth, I always heard it was too retarded makes it run
cool, something like not burning all the gas and leaving liquid fuel in
the cylinder. (That is likely as far off the wall as it is off the top of
my head)

Too advanced makes it run hot, the engine is working too hard and
compression is not finished before the spark front hits the A-F mix. the
engie then has to compress the exploding gases.

At least that is the way I answered it when I applied for the "Who Wants
To Be a Millionaire" show.

Larry

At this exact moment in time 7/25/00 12:46, millerls@ado13.com made the
profound statement:

>>From: "Toby Atwater" <Toby@intri-plex.com>
>> I always heard kind of the opposite. Spark too advanced (early) will of
>> course ping. Spark too retarded (late) will result in a loss of power and
>> overheating. It kind of makes sense. There is the same amount of gasoline
>in
>> the charge but less power is developed, the wasted energy goes into heat
>> instead of usable pushing power. That is how it was explained to me...
>>
>> Good luck
>
>Toby
>I don't have an over heating problem I just wanted to hear some thoughts on
>timing Vs over heating.
>
>Thanks,
>Larry

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.