RE: Timing Vs Over Heating

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Timing Vs Over Heating
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 00 17:14:25 EDT
>>I always heard kind of the opposite.

  -I- always heard it was -both-. :-) :-) :-)  No really!

...when taken to extremes that is. ;-)
  Really, I've been told both ways will get you overheating pretty much
for the reasons others have put forth.
  Overheating from too much advance is more likely to result in near-term
damage than overheating from being too retarded.  However being too retarded
will also eventually; even if only from the excess fuel washing lubrication
off the cylinder walls, finding it's way into the sump and diluting the
rest of the oil, and even ending up collecting in the exhaust as unburned
fuel (then getting hot and igniting).
  Ed in NC