Re: Rust in the cylinder head?

To: cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rust in the cylinder head?
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 22:09:37 EDT
In a message dated 7/25/2000 8:48:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< I noticed that the coolant,
 which had long since vanished, had left a thick coating of rust flakes all
 through the head.  Is there a way to clear that stuff out of there without
 pulling the head?  Does the water pressure afforded by a garden hose flush
 enough of that stuff out to be useful?  Or should I just pull the head and
 send it off to a warm bath at my machine shop? >>

Charles:

I like to install a Prestone backflush kit on all my vehicles and use
Prestone Super Flush in them. Try it and see if it flushes out the rust
flakes you are talking about.  I bought a Ford Ranger pickup a few years back
that kept overheating and when I pulled the radiater cap, the radiater was
filled with thick rusty "water" and was clogging up. I used the above system
and successfully flushed the system to where it ran relatively cool.

--David C.