Re: Rust in the cylinder head?

To: DLancer7676@cs.com
Subject: Re: Rust in the cylinder head?
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 03:16:39 -0400
Cc: cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
DLancer7676@cs.com wrote:

> In a message dated 7/25/2000 8:48:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com writes:
>
> << I noticed that the coolant,
>  which had long since vanished, had left a thick coating of rust flakes all
>  through the head.  Is there a way to clear that stuff out of there without
>  pulling the head?  Does the water pressure afforded by a garden hose flush
>  enough of that stuff out to be useful?  Or should I just pull the head and
>  send it off to a warm bath at my machine shop? >>
>
> Charles:
>
> I like to install a Prestone backflush kit on all my vehicles and use
> Prestone Super Flush in them. Try it and see if it flushes out the rust
> flakes you are talking about.

  It's certainly worth a try.

  I know when I do a flush with those kits all sorts of disgusting
stuff comes out. Especially if you remove all the hoses that you can
after and apply some direct water into the head and alterate
plugging the various outlets.

  Maybe tonnes is still left in, but what comes out means it's
doing something.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca