Re: Sticky shifting

To: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@avaya.com>
Subject: Re: Sticky shifting
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 01:42:25 -0400
Cc: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
"William M. Gilroy" wrote:
> Since I got my 77 Midget running I have been tearing up the back roads
> trying to work out the bugs.  One thing that bothers me is the shifting
> seems to require to much pressure to get into gear (any gear).

  Is it still stiff when the car is not running? (just to rule out
any hydralic issues)

  Are you using the proper oil? It's 80w90 gear oil, unlike many
other MGs which use engine oil.

> How smooth should the shifter be?

  Mine is delightful, frankly. ;>

> Got some other gremlins, seems to require excess pedal pressure on
> the brakes or maybe this in the right amount for the car.

  If everything works fine and nothing is sticking, the pedal
pressure is probably normal. No power brakes obviously, and
generally anything that causes increased pedal pressure shows
other problems, like sticking on, or mechanical seizing in
the pedal linkage.

> I will
> have to get someone else to drive it and let me know what they
> think.

  Bring it on up, and drive my 75.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.