Re: Wishbone and Kingpin Frustration

To: "Michael Lupynec" <mlupynec@globalserve.net>
Subject: Re: Wishbone and Kingpin Frustration
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 11:31:59 -0400
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Hey, don't be too hard on the brits with this one.  Nearly all American
cars with independent wishbone suspension of the late 30's, through the
60's had the same type of threaded bearing suspension just like the
Spridgets do.  Only major difference was they were pretty bag and easy to
get apart.  Boy did I do a lot of king pin jobs on these cars when I was
working my way through college!

This was all before the Mac Phearson strut and FWD cars.

Paul A

>An LBC Believe It Or Not - the threads on the kingpin are load
bearing! The rotation being minimal assures that the threads wear
asymmetrically and then are next to impossible to get out. Only
the Brits can design something that would have only succeeded in
East Germany or Yugoslavia.

>I got a pair of rebuilt wishbones and the frt end rebuild kit. Put
in an extra set of grease nipples on the suckers and keep them
well lubed.

>Mike L.
60A,67E,59Bug
Toronto