Re[2]: Sears Tires

To: DLancer7676@cs.com
Subject: Re[2]: Sears Tires
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 08:36:55 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Hello DLancer7676,

              NO NO NO.. the speed rating has to do with  the
              construction to resist heat and centrifugal forces.. so
              that the tire will not disentegrate at SPEED... nothing
              to do with FLEX... if you desire less sidewall flex, go
              with a lower aspect ratio tire... i.e. 50's instead of
              60's... and go the the next larger rim size .. that is..
              a 60 series 14  is the same diameter as a 70 series
              13......

              another misconseption about tire is that the WIDER tire
              puts more rubber on the road... .. not TRUE.. what
              changes is the shape of the contact patch..... ..

              that is... a 175-70 13 puts the same rubber on the road
              as a 185 60 14... assuming the same tire pressure.. ..
              and again the same rubber on the road as a 195 50 15...
              .. the shape tho.. does change... you get a wide patch
              that doesn't have as much fore and aft... vs a narrow
              patch that is long ... on the road... that's why the
              wider tire is  more likely to hydroplane... and corners
              better.... and accelerates better.. but the narrow is
              better in.. MUD.. and in the rain..

Saturday, September 02, 2000, 4:25:12 AM, you wrote:

Dcc> In a message dated 9/2/2000 1:36:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tboicey@brit.ca
Dcc> writes:

Dcc> <<  I am pretty sure this is caused by having more sidewall flex
Dcc>  than I am used to, coupled with a little bit of unpredictability
Dcc>  in exactly when it flexes. >>

Dcc> Listers in the know, correct me if I am wrong, but when you read the speed
Dcc> ratings on the tires, don't the higher speed ratings also generally give
you
Dcc> better sidewall rigidity?  That is one reason I went with Pirellis over
Dcc> Yokohamas in the price range I was considering ($30-40).  Check this page
of
Dcc> information out:   <A
Dcc> HREF="http://www.discounttiredirect.com/discount.splash.html";>Discount
Tire
Dcc> Direct: Discount Tire Direct Home</A> .  If that doesn't get you to the
Speed

--
Best regards,
 Bill