Re: I got blown this weekend!

To: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <midgetspriteclub@listbot.com>
Subject: Re: I got blown this weekend!
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 21:24:53 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
From <Mike643mnp at aol.com>
To: <ron@mel.compumod.com.au>; <rob@thomasr.greatxscape.net>;
<spridgets@autox.team.net>; <midgetspriteclub@listbot.com>
Sent: 11 September 2000 22:38

> Contemporary road tests of Shorrock blowers claim no harm or damage to
> STANDARD engines on low boost. But I suppose if you crank the BHP things
> break (they always do)
>
> Mike
>
> M. North
> London

I'm lucky (?) in that I have a single + a-bit garage jammed full of
engines/gearboxes/pre-war cars etc and I can pick the best candidate for the
fitting.  the 1275 A+ engine in the car runs standard HLE pistons at around
10:1 so is a little too high for the blower.  The 1098 (10CC serial number
with the big
crank and 12G295 head) runs at just over 9.2:1 so might be OK but I have
spare blocks for both engine types, along with Marina and 1275 Midget blocks
to supply the donor engine.  I also have a repairable 5-speed Sierra box on
one of the
1098s which ought to be the best bet.  Jonathan Peck @ BCSC suggests 9:1 as
the max for a road car, so I will take the advice of the guy who has BTDT.
No probs with bonnet clearance as the car has that 1500shape glass bonnet
with the MGC bulges that sit right over the place where the H4 carb sits.  I
don't expect to win any races with this car but hope to improve the
suitability in modern traffic.
If it goes bang....it's only money.

Rob Thomas

PS  AVGAS is still available at the local airport if anyone needs it.  No
Unleaded or LRP within 25 miles.  Glad I didn't buy a modern car.
PPS  Anyone know what the lowest compression pistons (of a decent
strength/quality) are?