Tire Size Question

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Tire Size Question
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2000 13:30:03 -0700 (PDT)
Hey y'all,

I'm in pretty dire need of tires for the Midget.  My brother had put
some 155/80 Pirellis on there some time ago, but is that the original
size or is it 145/80 (or something else)?

The wheels are the stock 13x4.5 wires.  I'm assuming they're 4.5's, but
I'm not 100% sure.  What I'm looking for are recommendations on brands
and sizes that'll work well on these wheels.  I don't want an all
season, if possible, and rain performance isn't critical.  I'd prefer a
performance tire of some sort.  Also, I'd like as wide a tire as I can
reasonably put on these wheels.  I'm thinking a 165 would likely be the
limit?  But, would a 175/70-13 work okay or is too much?  According to
Yokohama, a 4.5" wheel is the lower limit for a 175/70.

I don't mind going with a _marginally_ taller tire since the car's
geared so steeply, but it's rather difficult to do the calculations
when I don't know the orignal tire size. ;-)  Oh yeah, I plan on
lowering the car about an inch or so, if that makes much difference.

And, yes, I checked the archives before posting, but didn't find what I
was looking for. :-)

Thanks,
Tommy

=====