Re: NLBC: Was Front suspension rebuild, now product liability

To: sfooshee@home.com
Subject: Re: NLBC: Was Front suspension rebuild, now product liability
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 23:46:59 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 10/08/2000 9:29:32 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
sfooshee@home.com writes:

> Since we're off the subject here, I'm curious if anyone knows any specifics
>  about this ATX tire thing. Are these tires giving out under normal driving
> or
>  are they blowing because they're underinflated and being run above their
> speed
>  rating and designed operating temperature?

Depends on who you ask.  When you ask a Ford guy...it's the dang tires made
by the union jerks at Firestone, and when I was down at the Firestone shop
trading for Bridgestones, it was Fords fault for advising 26PSI instead of
30PSI...and did you know the Explorers fuel tank is all on one side and that
extra weight caused the tires to fail..and all those people were going over
90 miles an hour...

Bit of reaching on both sides I suspect.  Were a bit spoiled by new tire
technology I think.  I remember when getting 20K miles on a set of tires was
quite acceptable and everyone knew where the jack and lug wrench was because
it was not "if " you where going to fix a flat, but when.

It seems probable that Firestone did have some quality control problems, and
Ford may be wrong on the inflation numbers, but 30PSI sounds high to us old
guys.  It also seems improbable that there would be zero defect in any
manufactured product anywhere and one wonders if these problems are perhaps
inflated by the media just a bit? Gotta sell them papers and sound bytes.

RH...just an OF's opinion...but I do like the looks of the new Bridgestones
and the ol PU seems to like 'em too.  Has a bit more pep!