Re: was Camshafts/ now cam bearings

To: Charles Christ <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: was Camshafts/ now cam bearings
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 15:59:24 -0400
Cc: Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>, Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>, Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Charles Christ wrote:

> emry cloth on a bearing surface?  i would pull my stuff out of there in a
> flash!  were they polishing the cam with a rat tail file too?  sorry about
> the sarcasm but you never polish out scratches on a bearing!  if it is
> scored , it is to be replaced!  not polished with emry cloth.  even if it
> were termed crocus cloth instead of emry cloth it is still a no-no!  any
> shop that would recomend that to any customer i would have little faith in
> and would not return for future work.

  We might get into an argument of Formula 1 versus Grapes of
Wrath here, but I don't see anything wrong with the described
procedure.

  There is EVERYTHING wrong with doing a half-assed job on an
engine and calling it a full rebuild, but there is a time and
a place for minor internal touchups between major services.

  A scored bearing surface would normally consist of a
raised portion, and a depressed portion. If the raised
portion is carefully dressed down to not score the mating
surface, the depressed portion should cause no major problems
if it doesn't leak oil pressure to the outside.

  ...we can't spend thousands in machine shop work every time
we open up the sump...! I would rather spend my money at a shop
that has the same attitude.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca