Re: Camshafts

To: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: Camshafts
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 08:28:02 -0500
Cc: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Larry,
         If you can drag yourself from the Kleenex box, have a look under
the valve cover. I suspect you've either ground down a cam lobe or two, or
are machining away a lifter (tappet, follower). A crude check is to observe
(measure) and compare the lift of several pushrods at the rocker. Once a
lifter has worn through its hardness, the deteriorate very quickly, in my
experience. Cam lobes will wear also, but not quite as fast... again, in my
experience. This would account for adequate oil pressure and self
de-adjusting valves.
         Good luck. This is nothing to sneeze at. (sorry)
         Peter C
----