Re: Re: Camshafts

To: <mgraziano@mindspring.com>, <Daniel1312@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Camshafts
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 10:40:40 -0400
Cc: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>

>Get in contact with APT and see what they say.
Well I looked on their web site (www.aptfast.com) and what a cluster f**k
that is. I spent well over an hour and could not find anything, unless I
had the part number. And I could find no way to find out what the part
number was. Last update was on my last birthday - December of 1999  (send
those cards and letters now folks, don't forget the checks)

So I called, lady answering the phone was very nice, but unknowing in the
parts area. The folks I need to talk to will be in on Tuesday.  So I will
call back.

On a side note.
>If I had the cash,  I would have had the cam and block ground for cam
bearings.

Why is there such an issue with the cam bearings?? anyone ever have one
fail? The journals are like 1 inch, or less, from the oil galley. I have
yet to see one go bad, or hear of anyone that did. I was asked yesterday
if I was gonna have the galley enlarged, I think not. Besides all the
pressure issues that will engender. I have 90,000 miles on the engine in
the car and it didn't break at the cam journals, or at least I hope that
is not what is wrong. I suspect not. Why fix something that ain't broke.

Seems to me that the KISS principle applies here. Why add another piece
to the puzzle. Yea I know that this is one of the few engines that has no
cam bearings, but so?? It works. The cam is not subjected to the side -
to - side forces that a crank is. It just, basically, goes round and
round. As long as there is oil there, which there would be unless the
pump failed, what is wrong with no, soft WEARABLE material, cam bearings?

Somebody give me definate failures on the cam bearing issue and I might
rethink my decision to forego this "modification".

Remember, I worked on industrial engines and any failure was always at
the crank, never the cam.

Just wondering out loud.

Larry

Larry Macy