Re: Midgets and Datsun 210 Transmissions

To: "Larry Macy" <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Midgets and Datsun 210 Transmissions
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 14:06:23 -0700
Larry Macy wrote:
> Now have I missed anything?? Any other clues, suggestions, PITA's etc.
>
> Larry

Yeah, the part I think you missed is that IMHO, the transmission fitted to
the 1500 is a smooth shifting, quiet, well spaced box with plenty of spare
parts available and no reason exists to replace it.  It has a syncro on
first, uses a roller throw out bearing, a larger clutch, and the car comes
with a 3.7 final drive.  If it would have fit behind a 1275, I would have
used one in my car, as  I have three spares.  The reason to upgrade an
a-series from smooth case to Datsun is that the smooth case is a lousy
transmission that lacks of bearings (it uses bronze bushings), no first gear
syncro, (and crappy syncros on 2,3 +4) the lousy carbon throw-out bearing,
the puny clutch, and the relatively low 3.90 or 4.22 rear end necessitated
by low engine torque. It isn't even heavy enough to make a suitable boat
anchor.  The ribcase isn't much better, although latter boxes at least came
with bearings and slightly better syncros.  If you really gotta have a
taller final drive, I'd talk to Trevor Boicy about his Spitfire OD
conversion.

(I guess I can't hide my dislike for smoothcase/ribcase transmissions very
well.  In 8 years of ownership my car ate up at least that many
transmissions, several of them well worn used, some were professionally
rebuilt.  Flame suit on, and now I'll hop off my soapbox)

David Riker
74 Midget
63 Falcon
70 Torino