Re: Midgets and Datsun 210 Transmissions

To: "David Riker" <davidr@sunset.net>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Midgets and Datsun 210 Transmissions
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 20:12:05 -0400
I have to agree with you on the tranny. It is a very good unit. The main
reason I am looking for a 5 speed is I drive the car a lot, and on the
highway. I would like to kick the RPMs down from 4200 - 4500 at speed on
the highway. Yes I know the redline is 6K but after a while at 4500 it
gets a bit hard on the driver. ;-)

For that reason the best one would be the Spit tranny w/ OD. I would
guess from looking at the pics on Trevors site that the actual tranny is
basically the same gearbox, with the OD attached. I do not know that for
sure tho.

Larry

>Larry Macy wrote:
>> Now have I missed anything?? Any other clues, suggestions, PITA's etc.
>>
>> Larry
>
>Yeah, the part I think you missed is that IMHO, the transmission fitted to
>the 1500 is a smooth shifting, quiet, well spaced box with plenty of spare
>parts available and no reason exists to replace it.  It has a syncro on
>first, uses a roller throw out bearing, a larger clutch, and the car comes
>with a 3.7 final drive.  If it would have fit behind a 1275, I would have
>used one in my car, as  I have three spares.  The reason to upgrade an
>a-series from smooth case to Datsun is that the smooth case is a lousy
>transmission that lacks of bearings (it uses bronze bushings), no first gear
>syncro, (and crappy syncros on 2,3 +4) the lousy carbon throw-out bearing,
>the puny clutch, and the relatively low 3.90 or 4.22 rear end necessitated
>by low engine torque. It isn't even heavy enough to make a suitable boat
>anchor.  The ribcase isn't much better, although latter boxes at least came
>with bearings and slightly better syncros.  If you really gotta have a
>taller final drive, I'd talk to Trevor Boicy about his Spitfire OD
>conversion.
>
>(I guess I can't hide my dislike for smoothcase/ribcase transmissions very
>well.  In 8 years of ownership my car ate up at least that many
>transmissions, several of them well worn used, some were professionally
>rebuilt.  Flame suit on, and now I'll hop off my soapbox)
>
>David Riker
>74 Midget
>63 Falcon
>70 Torino