Re: Noisy 1500 @ 2700

To: ckotting@core.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Noisy 1500 @ 2700
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 18:55:57 EST
In a message dated 11/16/2000 10:24:09 AM Eastern Standard Time,
ckotting@core.com writes:

<< That having been said, the 1500 IS hard on the bottom end bearings, so
 after you get the mounts diagnosed, it might be worth dropping the sump
 for a look-see.  The main and rod bearings can be replaced with the
 engine still in the car. >>

And while you are in there, be sure to check the thrust bearings.  The 1500
has a nasty habit of dropping it's thrust bearings.  I don't believe this is
causing the pecking but good to check them while you are there.  Mine were
pinned in by a machine shop to solve that problem.  If you ever rebuild the
engine, be sure to get them pinned.  As far as your noise is concerned, I
would certainly check the timing chain.  If it is loose I would think it
would create a sound like you describe.  At least eliminate it as a culprit.

--David C.