Re: body shop questions.

To: "Toby Atwater" <Toby@intri-plex.com>
Subject: Re: body shop questions.
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 10:52:32 -0500
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Hi Toby
The more you can do before the car gets to the shop the cheaper it will be
of course. But while your at it have you considered painting it yourself?
The bulk of the work is in the prep, and putting on the paint is the easy
part. Of course you need a place to work in, air, and a spray gun. Forget
the gym, your arms will get a good workout from sanding.

I paint my own cars and do a few jobs on the side from time to time. It is
possible to get nice paint working in your garage. Depending upon how
straight the body is, materials on a Sprite or Midget will run around
$500.00 for premium stuff. There will be an initial purchase for some shop
supplies, but a lot less than a body shop bill, and you will be ready for
your next job.

Does the paint really need to be stripped? Does the car need rust repair,
any dents, peeling or checked paint? How many previous paint jobs have been
done. If it's original paint and is not rusty, simply DA it,  prime then
paint. Stripping opens up a whole can of worms. You can even do one panel at
a time to build your confidence, start with the trunk, remove it prep and
paint, you will be amazed at how easy it is.

The cheaper shops like Maaco really only want to do late model stuff that
just needs minor body work and paint. A lot of shops prefer insurance jobs
and use projects like yours to keep busy when things get slow, it's common
to see cars sitting for months collecting dust while the collision jobs come
and go.
Anyway if you decide to send it out, remove all the chrome, interior,
lights, windshield if possible, to reduce their labor. Everything will be
dusty and oversprayed anyway.
Look around and try to find a shop that shows some interest in old cars, and
get a FIRM commitment on cost and a completion date!
I can tell you a horror story from my earlier days, probably why I decided
to do my own paint...

Happy sanding,
John

68 Sprite