Re: advice

To: "Brad Fornal" <toyman@digitex.net>, "scott putnam" <ultrawildcat@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: advice
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 07:33:45 -0500
Cc: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Come on Brad, Lets not start that thread again. Do you have any real
world experience with a 1500 or are your comments all hearsay??

I will insist, to the day I die, that the 1500 is not a bad engine.

I have nearly 60,000 DEPENDABLE miles on mine. Yes, a few weeks ago I
found metal in the oil, but again that is after 60000 miles. I still am
running it as I have yet to get the new one built yet. I just got the
block etc back from the machine shop this week. And that adds nearly
another 1000 to this "undependable" engine. It has nearly 100,000 total
on it as well.

Swapping a 1275 into the 1500 engine bay is not all that easy, or cheap.
Yes it will fit, but you have to add a whole bunch of ancillary items.

Yes the 1275 will rev more freely, but it also has less torque and won't
pull the extra weight of the RB body as well, unless you "hot rod" it.

My opinion, go with the 1500, 9:1 pistons, and a cam. What cam depends on
what you want. Also trash that ZS carb as soon as possible, and put
either a Weber or a pair of SU's. The SU's are the better way to go in
this deal, but anything is better than that ZS POS.

"That's my opinion, I may be wrong"

Larry

>With all the trouble associated with making them run dependably, now you
>want to hot rod
>one!? You really need to consider a 1275!!!!!
>Brad (the not-so-phantom troublemaker)
>
>scott putnam wrote:
>
>> hello fellow gearheads,i'm looking for a recommendation.i would like to know
>> if there is a good book available on hotrodding the 1500.any suggestions?
>> thanks.
>>   the phantom troublemaker

>_______
>> Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com