Re: VIRUS ALERT teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id eB7L7ip08026

To: Ajhsys@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: VIRUS ALERT teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id eB7L7ip08026
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 13:10:14 -0800
At 12:51 PM 12/7/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Listers!  I have just received two copies of an e-mail with a virus attached,
>from Ed Kaler (JustBrits@aol.com).  This thing is infecting his address book.
>
>It is a very innocent looking e-mail with what is supposed to be some
>pictures in the attachment, which is a .zip file.  It all sounds very
....snip....

    uh, how does a ZIP file hurt your system ?  If it is a ZIP file when
you run it, it will run your favorite unzipping utility (no sex jokes
intended, but I sure can see a few in that line) and show you the contents
of the ZIP file.  Running the contents may cause your computer to be
infected with a virus but just unzipping the file can't since it does not
run anything but WinZip or PkUnzip or whatever tool you use.

    Unless of course it is a self-extracting exe type zip file...then all
bets are off.

   Just curious because from what I know of Virus's you can't get one from
looking at the contents of a ZIP, only by running the contents.  If I am
wrong, I would like to know and I will be more careful.

         mike ( who must not be on Ed's favorite list...geez Ed, I just
sent you $985 on Monday...what does it take to be on your favorite list? )

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing and  ~~~ .oooO  Oooo.  ~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                                   (    )  (     )
Bug Writer er...Programmer                \   )   (   /
      mikey@b2systems.com                  \_)  (_/
If you want to learn more about the ULTIMATE BRITISH sports car,
then take a look at   http://www.singercars.com/