Re: first start-again

To: Bill Mantz <bmantz@roanoke.infi.net>
Subject: Re: first start-again
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 12:47:59 -0500
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Bill Mantz wrote:

> I rotated the gear for the distributor 1 tooth to the right - wouldn't
> even fire. I rotated it 1 tooth the other way from where I had it
> originally- again it wouldn't fire. The only place that it would run is
> where I had it - which I now seem to have lost. I set the engine at TDC
> with the inlet valve on 4 cyl. just opening and outlet just closing (as
> instructed by Haynes) and the mark on the pulley is not even close to
> the pointer on the timing cover. Any suggestions besides junking the car
> , which may be next?

Pull the number 1 plug.  Play the little Dutch boy and put you finger
in the number 1 plug hole.  Now crank your engine.  This can be done
using the inside key and one person, trust me.  Now when you finger
farts you know the number one cylinder is in the compression stroke.
Try to catch the pressure early on.  Now line up the dizz to point at
or before the number 1 wire on the dizzy cap.  Put the plug back in
connect the wires and try to start.  If that fails try to start while
rotating the dizzy back and forth.  You should find a spot where it
starts.  Make sure the wire are in the correct firing order.

Bill Gilroy

PS.  Starting fluid or a squirt of gas into the carb throat works
wonders, and takes the wondering out of the fuel side of the
equation.

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
wmgilroy.vcf]