RE: Cosmoline?...

To: Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Subject: RE: Cosmoline?...
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 21:15:41 -0500
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Hi Gerard,

I hate to admit to this, but I was hanging around gas stations and garages
long before cars came equipped with coil springs!  It was a common practice
to grease cars every 1000 miles and check all lubricants,  you think only
Brit cars leaked?  and the other thing that was done was to paint the sides
of leaf springs with a special concoction.  This was an extra charge item,
usually.  Many springs on cars were wrapped with metal sleeves that had
grease fittings on them, cinchy to lube, others were wrapped in canvas type
stuff, best left to the dealer.

Anyway, the stuff that was used to paint the spring sides was made up of
chassis lube, LOTS of graphite powder and enough motor oil to thin it out
so you could mix it up and it would run, sneaky like, between the spring
leaves. All mixed up in about a 1 quart oil can, 1/2 full or so.   It was
painted on with a bristle shorten paint brush, continually dipping it into
the stuff and brushing vigorously onto the springs.  Simple formula, worked
well.  No high tech here, just good results.  Wonder if this would be an
EPA apprved way today?

Regards, Paul A

FROM:   Gerard Chateauvieux, INTERNET:pixelsmith at gerardsgarage.com
TO:     Spridgets, INTERNET:spridgets@autox.team.net
CC:     Bryan Vandiver, INTERNET:bryan.vandiver@sun.com
DATE:   2/9/01 6:47 PM

Re:     Cosmoline?...

When asking for suggestions for preserving my leaf springs, someone
suggested trying cosmoline. I've since come to learn that this is used to
preserve cars and engines for transportation... and also for guns. (Sorry,
but I think I'm about to start a gun thread... but not intentionally).
Since, for some strange reason, I think there are a few gun enthusiasts on
the list, I thought I might get some opinions or sources of this product.
An internet search revealed tons of references/questions for removal, but
that's about it.

I had the impression cosmoline remained in an oily-waxey state, but some
info I read leads me to believe it dries hard.

Is this a practical solution? Is the stuff safe to use? (no jokes about as
safe as the persons hands it's in)

anonymous

--
Please visit Four Points Travel -