It just ain't fair!

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: It just ain't fair!
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 21:23:51 -0800
I spent all last night and all day today working on the Bugeye.
Adjusting the valves after re-torquing the head, replacing the Redline
MT90 in the transmission with Catsrol 20w-50 and STP (sure quieted down
the first motion shaft!), topping up the differential (forgot to do that
after replacing the flange seal), making the choke cable work and
installing the air cleaners again because the carbs are tuned now. I
worked on the interior (still installing snaps on the floor for carpet
and screwing on the vinyl panels) I cut slots in the Hardura boot floor
covering for the spare tire straps, etc., etc.  My back is killing me!
      About an hour ago, I took the car out on a test drive around the
private streets here where I live and i did not get more than a couple
hundred feet and the lights went out (night time) and the car stopped
dead!  The engine turns over so the starter is getting plenty of juice
for the battery, but the car is dead.  I checked the fuses first.  I
actually hoped it was not a fuse.  That would indicate a problem
somewhere else in the wiring.  I think it is the combonation
ignition/light switch.  It is original to the car.  When I was restoring
the electrical parts, I disassembled this switch to clean the contacts
inside and it was pretty worn, but it worked.  It just seems that
anything original to the car that I just put into service without
replacing it with a repro or having it rebuilt has a problem like this.
Well, maybe it's something else. I've had it for today.  Tomorrow I'll
take the ignition switch out again and check it out on the VOM.
     It just ain't fair!
Mike MacLean-60 Sprite