Re: new user with old questions...

To: tim robbing <ahsprite1969@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: new user with old questions...
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 16:30:58 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
tim robbing wrote:

> Because the vehicle has been sitting for years without
> any activity on the engine... what do I need to check
> to make sure that it does or does not need a rebuild?

Welcome Tim.

To fire up a Sprite, I usually just disconnect the fuel pump wire and
line from the carbs. (so no junk or old gas gets in the carbs)
Remove the float bowl lids, fill each bowl with fresh gas, try to start
it. If it is hesitant, use WD-40 as a starting fluid. This is highly
combustable and lubes up the cylinders.
If it fires up, check the oil pressure right away, if it's good (50 psi
or better) listen for knocks, look for smoke, let it warm up rev it a
few times, then change the oil and coolant.
That is if all is well.

Good luck

ps...if you have no oil pressure you may have to prime the oil pump.
To do this, remove the banjo bolt holding the oil bypass pipe (just
above the distributor) and pour in a few ounces of oil, replace the bolt
and try again.
--

Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ