Re: Unbeleivable... NO LBC, just a LJC

To: jamesnazarian@netzero.net, Daniel1312@aol.com
Subject: Re: Unbeleivable... NO LBC, just a LJC
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 16:55:45 EST
Cc: cartman@dnai.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
* * * WOW * * *

What a great web site and I really liked the MPEGs.  Pity I don't have a
sound card as well.

OK, I admit I was wrong about the MR2 - what I didn't see in the photos, and
had not envisaged, was that the combustion chambers to drive the turbine are
remote from the compressor & turbine assembly.  [a turbcharger unit in itself
does not produce power].

In a convential gas turbine (admittedly with axial flow compressors and
turbines the combustion chamber sits, as it must, between the compressor and
turbine all in single line.  A turbocharger unit consists of a centrifugal
compressor and turbine just like the early Frank Whittle jet engine.  In the
MR2 and on the web site you can see how the piping runs from the compressor
to the combustion chamber (on a car/truck engine the engine itself is the
combustion chamber that drives the turbine) and then to the turbine.  I see
the engine on the web site has afterburn which the MR2 doesn't have although
the jet pipe design looks to be identical (which is disadvantageous).

I would guess the turbine failure on the web site unit is due to overheating
of the turbine rather than overspeed but I'm not an expert.

The MR2 is quoted at 190lbs thrust which doesn't seem a lot but I guess the
combustion chamber design limits the power quite a bit.  I don't know the
exact comparasion between bhp and lbs thrust but thought they were close to
equal.

Daniel1312 - anyone seen my anorak?

In a message dated 07/03/01 15:42:18 Pacific Standard Time,