Turning Japanese

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Turning Japanese
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 08:04:34 -0800 (PST)
OK, Peter Egan came clean about owning one in Road and
Track (since sold)...I was gonna come clean
eventually.  Long as we're talking Subaru's and
Lexus...  Nomex underwear on:

My "normal" car was my beloved BMW 325is, and it was
approaching 14 years of age.  While nothing was really
wrong with it, I had started thinking about something
new.  The only new car that remotely appealed to me in
the "affordable" category was, gasp, the Miata.

The 2001 LS version now has a 6 speed, limited slip
diff, stiffer chassis, an alleged 155HP variable valve
timing technology engine with a higher, flatter torque
curve, beautiful 205/45/16 lightweight wheels/tires,
some minor styling changes this year that make it more
aggressive looking...lots of nice upgrades from my
first Miata that I had 11 years ago.   These cars are
not replacements for LBCs - they do not have the soul
or the magic of an LBC, they do not have the same
possibility for heartbreak and the subsequent
indescribable reward that a Sprite has, but in my eyes
they are the closest you can come these days in a
convertible that has bulletproof reliability.  This is
in NO WAY a replacement for my LBC's - I have the
Bugeye and the BGT safely tucked next to the Miata -
it is simply the most fun daily car I could afford.  I
will admit I really, really, really like driving
Miatas.  They are as close to an affordable LBC you
can get these days this side of a Lotus Elise.

So, it was the middle of winter here in the snow belt,
car sales were in the toilet, convertible demand was
non-existent, and Peter C. helped me find a great
deal.  The deal was spurred by the remarkable
coincidence that Peter's Camry rusted in half just
when I was on the fence about selling the Bimmer, so I
had Peter as a buyer for the BMW, and I DID NOT want
to sell the car unless it went somewhere proper, where
I could buy it back someday (although Peter, a former
BMW hater, is now a 325 convert and may never want to
sell it). So...I am once again a Miata owner. I got
the car for under invoice price, and then Mazda
admitted they screwed up the US horsepower rating by
12 HP and sent me $500 debit card + $800 in dealer
parts/service credit (or the option to return the car
for a FULL refund - not gonna happen)!  I got sick of
my 1st one fast primarily because there was no LBC in
my life, now I am fortunate enough to have both.  I
really wanted to use the new car money for a race
Sprite, but due to other circumstances, that will have
to wait for at least another year or two.  In the
meantime, I get to shift the fantastic 6 speed gearbox
18,000 times a day on my way to work, to paraphrase a
comment Frank made to me.  The ratios are so close
sometimes I feel like I'm shifting 3 times to get out
of the driveway.  Very cool.

I am a little too young for "1st run" LBC memories - I
was 14 when BL abandoned the U.S. market (and 9 years
old when they "safety-ized them" and did away with
chrome, dual carbs, proper ride height, etc.), so the
Miata brings back a lot of memories for the Mrs. and I
to when we first got married, back when life was a lot
simpler and carefree (read: MORTGAGE_LESS and
CHILDLESS), and isn't that pretty much the point?

I personally know there are more than a few of us on
this list who have Spridgets and Miatas, and it's a
nice combination.  And my new plate, with some
suggestion from Frank, is ROTUS 1 (although he usually
calls it "a f'ing POS rice-burning Rotus"; I couldn't
fit that on one license plate).

BTW, I tried the Miata mailing list for a few days -
it's mostly filled with a bunch of vanilla wafers who
don't get "Pulp Fiction".

=====
Ron Soave
"Driver Carries No Cash"