Replacing Rear Axle Oil Seals

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Replacing Rear Axle Oil Seals
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 18:57:01 -0400
Folks,

After a great weekend of cruising (it's FINALLY Spring in Boston!), I pulled
the rear drums to check my slowly thinning brake linings and found that I
have diff oil leaking on one side.  I never done rear axle seals before, so
I was wondering if there is anything I need to watch out for.  I assume I'll
need a puller to get the hub off. Seems to be a pretty straight forward job,
but I wanted to see if anyone had any tips/tricks/gotcha's/etc.  Also, I was
wondering if the o-ring and seal (and axle gasket for that matter) went in
dry or if I need to use a Permatex-like sealer.

Thanks in advance.

Skip Tannen
'65 Austin Healey Sprite
'92 Range Rover LSE