Re: Replacing Rear Axle Oil Seals

To: "Skip Tannen" <tannen@babson.edu>
Subject: Re: Replacing Rear Axle Oil Seals
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 16:27:42 -0700
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Skip,

Turn the axle around and finger tighten two lugnuts at opposite corners and
you can use the axle as a puller.  A little prying motion, re-tighten the
nuts, a little more gentle prying action... and so on till it pops off.  If
the mating faces are clean, dry is the way to go.(Crude jokes based on this
sentence sure to follow).

Regards,
Glen Byrns
'59 bugeye
'59 Morris Traveller (Winifred)
> Folks,
>
> After a great weekend of cruising (it's FINALLY Spring in Boston!), I
pulled
> the rear drums to check my slowly thinning brake linings and found that I
> have diff oil leaking on one side.  I never done rear axle seals before,
so
> I was wondering if there is anything I need to watch out for.  I assume
I'll
> need a puller to get the hub off. Seems to be a pretty straight forward
job,
> but I wanted to see if anyone had any tips/tricks/gotcha's/etc.  Also, I
was
> wondering if the o-ring and seal (and axle gasket for that matter) went in
> dry or if I need to use a Permatex-like sealer.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> Skip Tannen
> '65 Austin Healey Sprite
> '92 Range Rover LSE