Re: the big mini bleed!

To: gjbranch@mediaone.net, cfchrist@earthlink.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: the big mini bleed!
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 07:00:12 EDT
In a message dated 4/21/2001 10:40:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
gjbranch@mediaone.net writes:

> Yeah, probably, but the problem with the mini is that the reservoir holds
> about
> a mouthful.  So just when you're getting all the air out, you run out of
> fluid
> in the reservoir and are back to ground zero.  So my plan is to fill a quart
> mason jar,

Geoff:

A mouthful?  Now that is an interesting way to pressurize a bleed!   You
could get a good mouthful of brake fluid, put a long tube in your mouth, and
move around the car bleeding each wheel all the while forcing fluid into the
MC from your mouth.  <G>

Seriously, I think I would use a Rubbermaid plastic bottle.  I think the
brake fluid level could be seen through the opaque plastic, and the lid fits
good.  There is a slight safety factor there in that I get nervous when I go
to pressurizing glass jars, even Mason jars that are made to withstand
negative pressures of canning--not sure about positive pressures inside, even
though the pressure will be low.  MY luck and experience, coupled with
Murphy's Law, are that once I am farthest away from the jar, on my back,
unscrewing the bleeder, the damned JAR will find some way to wallow, wiggle,
or jump onto the concrete floor.

Someone, a couple of years ago, posted a homemade Ezi-Bleed.  It used the
rubbermaid jar with a tire filler valve pressed into a hole in the top of the
jar to pressurize the contents and a tube through an sealed hole in the top
to the bottom of the jar to pick up the fluid.  The other end was fitted
(sealed) to a MC top.  I may have a copy of that somewhere in my Black Hole
of filing.  Or if the poster is listening, how about reposting it?

--David C.

///