Almost running (long - the continuing story)

To: "Spridget mail list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Almost running (long - the continuing story)
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 21:58:55 -0400
'79 Midget. We're getting closer, it's almost running!

For those of you keeping score (I know, almost noone ;-) ) Last time I was
almost there I had a fuel delivery problem. So I dropped the tank, brought it
toa shop where they cleaned and sloshed it. With the nice weather this weekend,
I went to work. Installed the new tank (and a bunch of other bits - pressure
tested used radiator, hoses, etc.), new fuel line. Put some gas in the carb
float bowl to help spin the pump, and turned the key. Vroom! Comes to life! She
doesn't idle well when cold, so a foot on the accelerator to keep it around
1000 rpm and running. A few minutes larer, sputters and dies. So we go through
checking everything for fuel, starting at the carb and working back to the
tank. Turns out that though the tank was sloshed, the pickup screen was still
full of rusty schmooze. We got a good bit out with bits of wire and pipe
cleaners, and even blew some compressed air in. We got some clearance, a little
flow, but not enough to get fuel all the way to the front of the car. So out
came the tank, ready to go back to the shop.

We filled the float bowl with gas a couple of times, though. Nice thing is that
as she warms up, the idle settles out to about 900-1000 rpm, with no help from
me. So we're getting somewhere, just slowly :-P

The other thing I was able to do was to look at the extent of the rust on the
car. It was a bit more than I expected. My not exhaustive list of parts that
need to be replaced includes:

The entire floorpan (many holes that aren't supposed to be there)
both front crossmebers (have holes)
both doorskins
at least one outer sill, probably both.
maybe the inner sills
some of the right front wheel arch
front wings are debatable, I haven't had them off yet
The front fascia under the bumper
The front of the hood (bonnet) - every time I bump it it rains rust flakes
The lower portion of both rear wings
Trunk (boot) floor (big holes)
rear inner wings
rear fascia
trunk lid (but I bought a replacement for that already)

So as I see it, I have a couple of options:
1. A lot of welding
2. a rust-free parts car or "used shell" if I can get one. There is that guy
tring to unload an entire junkyard on ebay for $9,000. Tempting, but I only
need one! ;-)
3. Heratige shell, if I can even get one over here.

What is the collective wisdom of the list? I know I'm in for a long
restoration. I suppose I'm trying to avoid so much welding, since I haven't
done it but once before, and then only for 5 minutes. I think I'd prefer to get
a shell in decent shape.

Thanks in advance!

-=Chris

-=Chris