Re: oil

To: patricia.sauthoff@Colorado.EDU, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: oil
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 10:02:20 EDT
patricia.sauthoff@Colorado.EDU writes:

> It's coming out from under the valve cover, not the head.  Sorry.  I'm

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Dear Spacey,

Get a new rocker cover gasket.  Remove rocker cover.  Clean everything
thoroughly.  Put the rocker cover on a very flat surface to make sure it is
actually flat on the bottom.  Sometimes they get twisted, and they seal
better if straight.  Put a very thin layer of RTV sealant on the top of the
new gasket and stick it to the cover.  No sealant is needed, but this makes
it easier to handle and may keep it in place for the next time you adjust the
valve lash.  BTW, adjust the valve lash while you have the cover off.  Then,
put the cover back on (no sealant on the bottom of the gasket) but do not
overtighten it.  If it is too tight, it will not seal well.  I think it calls
for 5 inch/pounds of torque, which is finger tight, but maybe a little more
is OK.  Check the oil and go for a drive.  This is an easy one hour job.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport