Re: oil

To: rglenn@netdoor.com, Ajhsys@aol.com, patricia.sauthoff@Colorado.EDU, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: oil
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 13:16:54 EDT
In a message dated 5/10/01 12:28:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rglenn@netdoor.com writes:

> >BTW, adjust the valve lash while you have the cover off.
>
> Okay, for the newbies lurking on the list, what the heck does this mean? I'm
> looking to replace the rocker cover gasket and the head gasket at some point
> in the near future. I've got a mysterious oil leak (very slight) that I'd
> like to get taken care of. If I need to adjust my valve lash, I probably

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Normal maintenance procedure.  First, buy a service manual for your car.  No
LBC owner should be without one.  Then read the section on adusting valve
lash.  It is a very easy procedure, and it will keep your engine running
quiet and clean.

You will need an open end wrench (I can't remember what size), a screwdriver,
and a flat feeler gauge (or is it guage?) to set the correct size.  I use a
remote starter switch to advance the engine during the procedure, but many
people just roll the car along the driveway to turn the engine.

Next step is learning the "Rule of Nine!"  Adjusting valve lash is up there
on a difficulty level with changing the oil and spark plugs.  It is actually
easier to do than to explain.  When you tell your relatives at the next
picnic that you just adjusted the valve lash on the little car, they will
think you are a master mechanic.  (We won't tell.)

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport