The Solution

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: The Solution
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 18:28:32 -0700
I'm at the end of my rope on this one.  I've been battling this hub face
axle flange gap issue for months. Both sides, the right side is about
3/16ths inch and the left about 1/32nd inch.  I picked up an axle casing
today that is definitely for disc wheel cars.  It measures the same as
the one that is in my car.  Does the machined step that the bearing
seats on have a different dimension when measured from the back plate
mounting flange?  I don't know yet.  I am going to swap the axle casings
out and try again.  If that does not do it, time to grind a quarter inch
ar so off the end of the axles.  I replaced the bearings and seals
yesterday in an attempt to stop the oil leak from the right side.
Probably ruined the seal in the hub taking off so many times to shim it
in an attempt to stop the oil leak. So I replaced everything and removed
the shims.  The machinist that pressed in the new seals and bearings
said to paint the end of the axles with nail polish and install.  When
the axle is all the way in, tap it with a lead hammer.  If the nail
polish is disturbed, you are bottoming out.  Guess  what?  the nail
polish proved it is bottoming out on the pinion shaft!  I'm confused by
my car again.  Steel wheel axle casing and steel wheel hubs and steel
wheel axles, the axles bottom out.  Huh?
Mike MacLean-60 Sprite