Re: raising the engine slightly

To: egmakris@otenet.gr
Subject: Re: raising the engine slightly
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:40:30 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 20:36:14 +0300 "Evangelos G. Makris"
<egmakris@otenet.gr> writes:
> What do I have to disconnect so I can lift the engine slightly to
> gain
> access to the crankshaft pulley bolt with a proper socket? On the
> left
> side there's the steering column over the mounting, on the right
> side
> there's a rigid brake pipe almost over the mounting.

I just did this recently.  From what I recall, I removed the exhaust and
intake manifolds as an assembly, leaving the muffler pipe connected.  I
have headers on my car, so this may vary from what you are able to do.  I
didn't have to loosen the tranny mounts or undo the prop shaft.  I
removed the right-hand (passenger's side) engine mount at the base of the
pedestal, where the three bolts go into the chassis.  On the left hand
side I undid the two bolts that bolt the motor to the mount.  You might
be able to undo the single large bolt that bolts the mount to the
pedestal, but the steering column might be in the way.  You should remove
the radiator before you do any of this, of course.

> Is it OK to lift the engine with a hydraulic jack and thick piece of
> wood between it and the sump?

Yes.  Just look out for the battery tray, you'll hit it eventually and it
will bend a bit if you go too far.  It will actually come up quite a bit.
 I replaced my timing chain cover without too much difficulty.

David Littlefield
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD
'74 MG Midget vintage racer