Waterloo timing cover

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Waterloo timing cover
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 17:17:38 -0400
Has anyone out there installed one of the modified timing covers that
Waterloo Drivetrains sells for A-engined Spridgets? If you're not familiar
with it take a look at
http://www.waterloo-dtr.com/Products/Spridget/TimingCover.htm . There
appears to be 2 main changes. First, the timing tab is moved toward the top
of the cover making it easier to see (I guess you set timing using a
different cylinder then). Second is a new nylon timing chain tensioner as
used on newer Rover cars. Other minor points like uprated neoprene/silicone
gasket. I'm going to have to replace the seal on mine - it's losing oil
FAST. Lost a quart on about a 40 mile drive yesterday. I had seen these
Waterloo covers before and started thinking I might switch to one of them.
Seem a bit pricey though at 79.95. I do like the idea of easier access to
the timing. Not sure if it's worth the cost though. Any comments? Other
sources? Can the cover/seal be changed with the engine in the car - looks
awfully tight between the pully and the cross member. I need to do the
clutch sometime too, so I'll probably fix the seal then anyway.

And on another note, I was just wondering what the symptom is of a "spun
bearing"? No, I have no reason to think I have one - car is running well.
And I know *what* a spun bearing is. But someone on the MG list posted the
other day that they were going to pull their engine because they spun a
bearing, and I started wondering how do you know when you've done it.

Thanks!

Eddie
1971 Midget