1275 questions: Stock pistons with a Judson? Cylinder sleeves?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: 1275 questions: Stock pistons with a Judson? Cylinder sleeves?
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 15:42:35 EDT
Update.
The block has been hot tanked.
Everything is being measured at the machine shop, but it looks like there is
no need for a grind on the crank.
A new cam and lifters are in the works.  The strange thing about the lifters
was that they looked fine on the first two cylinders and then were pitted on
3 and 4. Could this have been a result of a poorman's rebuild? But how much
could one save on replacing half a set of lifters.
Glad to hear not to be too alarmed by all four sleeves. But, I think this
eliminates the notion of an overbore. Or maybe requires really big overbore.
Seems to me with the original pistons looking fine, no sense in spending the
money for at best an extra 100 cc.
I am kind of stubborn, (I have been following the saga of Mike McClean's
Judson), but am giving alot of thought to abandoning installing the Judson.
But it is really neat looking! If anyone is interested in buying this email
me off list.
I am having the head redone, with a Vicky Brits "no lead" kit.
Any thoughts on what type of cam to get.
I am planning on using this as a cruising car, with a five speed, and the guy
at the machine shop isn't so sure that I should have the pulley, crank and
flywheel (with or without the clutch on?) balanced. The way I drive now, I
rarely rev beyond 4500 RPM, let alone 5500 or 6000. I just want to get up to
65 to 75 mph quickly and stay there. (maybe a few high speed corner thrown
in). I am thinking that well tuned 1275 in a Bugeye with overdrive is going
to comfortable wind in your face drive.
(I think I should warn you, that my son and I picked up the Bugeye with a
tired 948 in San Diego this June with the idea of driving it all the way to
New York. We did get as far as his college roommate's home in Dallas, and
then in rational thought process that only happens sitting in an air
conditioned living room, we decided to ship it the rest of the way. All in
all we had a heck of a road trip, mostly dawn and evening driving, and now
have our Southern California Bugeye up here in the land of road salt.)
I have ordered Vizard's book, and it is in the mail,  so I am still stubbling
around in the dark here.

Thank you all for your informative comments.

David Oliner
60 Bugeye
67 TR 4A